Find here a few of the most frequently asked questions.
WHAT DEVICES IS THIS COMPATIBLE WITH?
The peer-to-peer component of the Seajei platform is a pure software solution that has been developed using only basic C and sockets. Therefore it can run on any embedded systems such as embedded Linux, Marvell microprocessors, and more, as well as iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Linux, etc. The included video player currently comes as a drop-in framework for iOS. An Android version is under development.
HOW MUCH FASTER DOES THIS TECHNOLOGY PERFORM COMPARED TO WHAT IS TYPICALLY USED FOR CAMERAS SUCH AS DOORBELLS OR SECURITY CAMERAS?
Most hardware products in the market today including home security monitoring cameras, baby monitors, and doorbells need 4 to 10 seconds to create a connection (some need 30 seconds or even a minute), and then the video is often delayed by as much as 4 or 5 seconds or more. The Seajei platform can establish a connection and start displaying the video in as little as 0.2 seconds over cellular data, and even faster over WiFi. It has a latency of about 2 to 10 milliseconds if both devices are connected to the same WiFi, or 10 to 100 milliseconds otherwise.
HOW SECURE IS THE DATA TRANSFER?
The data is encrypted end-to-end, and for every new video session a new random 256-bit secret key is generated and securely exchanged via TLS 1.2.
HOW DOES THE OPERATING COST COMPARE WITH OTHER SOLUTIONS?
There are examples of companies spending $15,000 per month on backend infrastructure to stream video between a home camera and mobile phone for only 200 customers. There are other companies spending 1 million dollars per month on infrastructure. With Seajei, 90% of all traffic is free, because it requires no backend, but is routed directly through the public internet via peer-to-peer connections. The remaining 10% is low cost because the cloud server technology used is highly efficient in forwarding the data between devices, keeping the number of servers low. A rough estimate is less than $100 / month for tens of thousands of customers.
HOW WILL IT PERFORM IN OTHER COUNTRIES?
It can be set up so that communication with cloud servers will automatically be routed through the nearest cloud data center available. At this time the technology uses Amazon AWS, which has data centers across the world, and so the performance will be optimal no matter where the devices are connecting from. When a peer-to-peer connection is established without needing servers to relay data, it will automatically use the quickest route possible.
CAN THE TECHNOLOGY WORK WITH ANY CLOUD PROVIDER?
Yes it can. It currently uses AWS, but can be changed to use any other cloud provider if needed.
WHY WILL THIS TECHNOLOGY WORK ON EMBEDDED DEVICES WHERE OTHERS WON’T?
There are some technologies available such as WebRTC, which can work well to communicate from browser to browser on desktop machines. But they require power and memory, doing some heavy processing and memory allocations. The Seajei platform was designed in such a way that it runs from basic C code and sockets and optimizes the way it establishes a peer-to-peer connection. Any embedded systems that are internet capable are compatible. In terms of memory and storage footprint, the provided library requires less than 30 kB for memory and about 200 kB footprint.
In case you haven’t found the answer for your question please feel free to contact us, our customer support will be happy to help you.